Wednesday, August 21, 2013

DIY My Little Pony Party Decor



In less than a month, my K is going to turn 5 and her latest obsession, My Little Pony, was chosen as the theme. Apparently, she's not the only one who's obsessed because when I started doing some more research into the subject, I learned that TONS of people, not just little girls, are equally addicted to these cute ponies. There's even a term to describe such people: bronies. According to Urban Dictionary: The term used to describe the fan community(usually of the older group, males and females) of the show My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic.

So, are you a brony??? =) 

The last couple of nights, I've stayed up well past midnight to make some stuff for her party because I hate paying for overpriced party decor that doesn't even fulfill the vision I have in my head! And believe me, I have a lot of visions and I just can't help but DIY everything because that's the only way I'll get rid of some of those visions and get what I want. Are you other crazy crafty chicks with me here??? I know I can't be the only one. ;-)



All right, so up above, my trip to the Dollar Tree yielded some fun, pony-centric stuff! Aren't those foam signs just perfect??? Keep reading to see what I made with those!

K is obsessed with Rarity, the fashion-designing pony. No surprise there, huh? Just like her mama, that's why! So I figured we would go with a Rarity's Boutique them ~ complete with a fashion store and hair and makeup 'counter.' 


Isn't that foam sign awesome??? So simple but so pretty and fitting for the theme. I forgot to photograph the other sign but it reads "Beauty" for the hair and makeup counter in the boutique.



I'll be using K's little dress up rack to hold dress up clothes for the girls at the party. And yeah, you guessed it, all of those will be handmade by me so I really need to get going on those this weekend!




And don't you just love the tassels??? Super adorable. I tried to recreate Rarity's home (see below) with the pinks and purples and feeling of lavishness and decadence. I used Target's $ spot duck tape and wrapping paper as wallpaper and just colored card stock for the diamond pattern and curtain swag detail. 


How'd I do? They look pretty gosh darned similar, I think! K loves it, especially since she got to help with it.


I bought these tri-fold boards from the Goodwill. They were half off for just $1 each! Big score for me there! Continuing on in my cheap chic vein, the magenta fabric that forms the curtain is from my stash and I have another pink star fabric that I'll be using on the other tri-fold board. Altogether, less than $10 spent on decorations so far! 

Stay tuned because I've got some more decorations, party favors and food ideas coming over the next month, culminating in the final event which is exactly one month away from today and you bet I'll be posting about the shindig afterwards! A year goes by fast, doesn't it mommies??? I still remember her last party like it was yesterday! =(

Oh yeah, and did I mention there'll be a very special Rarity dress made especially for the guest of honor? I'll even offer the pattern for free over on my Fresh Off the Bolt blog! So definitely look for that if you have a little one who's a little Brony. =D 


5 comments:

  1. This is so cute! I'm doing Equestria for my daughter's 8th birthday party in January. Keep us posted on the entire party! I would love to see what you come up with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Toyya! I have a post coming up later tonight about my progress so far! Lots of fun stuff and ideas! Thanks for stopping by and do come back for the grand finale in a few weeks to see how the party turned out!
      -Julia @Handicraftiness

      Delete
  2. where did you get the letters ( the letters to make the sign fashion etc.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Vicky- I got them from my local Dollar Tree store in the educational/office supply aisle!

      Delete
  3. hi can i ask where did you get the ears for the headband ?

    ReplyDelete

Like this post? Leave a comment or check the sidebar for ways to connect with me - I'd love to hear what you think!